First Wesley School formally opened at Grafton, Auckland. Wesley College is New Zealand’s oldest registered school and was the first private school to integrate into the state education system
School moved to present site at Paerata North
At this time the roll and curriculum were broadened, but the Church’s responsibility to Maori and Pacific Island students was recognised in the special provisions for their welfare.
Wesley Chapel opened: a bequest from Marianne Smith (née Caughey)
NZ Defence Force occupies the land and buildings for defence purposes. The school was taken over by defence authorities and used to house an American unit of some 600 men and 120 nurses.
Fast speed broadband arrives. Our development project benefits from a head start because elements of infrastructure are already in place to service the current school community.
October: earth turning ceremony, earthworks begin. This marks the official start of our journey to build a new town, and the most innovative and exciting project Auckland has seen for generations.
Architects appointed for New Wesley College
First homes occupied.
- Construction begins on new Wesley College
- Design of new town Amphitheatre available in sketch format
- Redevelopment of old College in new town centre.
First 300 homes completed
New train station opens
First 1000 homes built