What’s behind the street names of Paerata Rise?
Did you know each of the street names here at Paerata Rise has a unique connection to our community? Our process of selecting street names originated by identifying names significant to the Paerata area, and the heritage of this area.
We’re proud that every street in our Township honours the legacies which helped to shape this landscape, our history and the future of Paerata Rise. Find out more about our first street names, below:
Thomas Buddle served as the founding principal at The Wesley Native Institution in Grafton Auckland from 1844 to 1848, which in 1849 was relocated to Three Kings. In 1924 it became Wesley College located in Paerata.
The Fetter Lane Society was the first branch of the Moravian Church in Britain; an important precursor to Methodism founded in the 19th century that went on to establish the Methodist movement in New Zealand, and Wesley College in Paerata.
Hiwi Tauroa Road
Edward Te Rangihiwinui (Hiwi) Tauroa was a Māori All Black from 1951 to 1954, who went on to be the Principal at Wesley College for six years from 1968 to 1973. He was a Race Relations Commissioner from 1979 to 1985.
Jonah Lomu Drive
A legendary sportsman, who attended Wesley College from 1989 to 1993. He was the youngest ever All Black at 19 years of age, earning 63 caps and 37 tries in his All Black career. Jonah sadly passed away in 2015.
Sir Peter Kenilorea was the first Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands and a Speaker of Parliament. He was also a student of Wesley College in the 1960s.
Sir Toaripi Lauti was the first Prime Minister of Tuvalu, following the country’s independence. He was also Governor-General of Tuvalu. Sir Lauti attended Wesley College in 1947.
Named after the hill that Wesley College chapel is situated on, Puhitahi Hill is a significant landmark in our Township.
School House Road
Named after one of the house systems at Wesley College (located in Paerata), known as ‘Te Kura’ in Te Reo Māori. A traditional name given to the first house of the school.
Simmonds House Road
Rev.J. Simmonds was the Headmaster of Wesley College from 1895 to 1923, also part of the group who Wesley College now resides on.
Stanton House Road
Named after Hon. Joseph Stanton (KB, LLB), a Justice of the Supreme Court of New Zealand, a Wesley College Trust Board member for 50 years from 1913 to 1963, and Chairman from 1932 to 1948.
Te Paea Avenue
In 1985 the girls dormitory at Wesley College was named Te Paea, named after Sophie Hinerangi (known as Te Paea). A student of the Wesleyan Native Institution, and famous guide in the Mt Tarawera eruption in 1886.
Walter Lawry Road
Walter Lawry was a Methodist Missionary who came to New Zealand from Tonga in 1843. He established Wesley College in 1844 and was also the General Superintendent of Wesleyan (Methodist) Missions in New Zealand.
‘Wesleyan’ is a term used by current and past Wesley College students, acknowledging their connection to the school and its Alumni.
Winstone House Road
Named after George e Snr, a Wesley College Trust Board member for 40 years from 1892 to 1932. He played an instrumental role in moving Wesley College from Three Kings to Paerata.
What’s in store for the future? Well, with 4,500 homes making up the Township of Paerata Rise by 2035; at the time of writing this (June 2023) there’s many more streets to come.
These are yet to be named; so look out for updates to this blog as Paerata Rise continues to grow. We’re looking forward to the process of researching and nominating new street names that will continue to represent this beautiful community – past, present and future.
Reference (Stuff, 2020).